Thursday, January 22, 2015

Period 3 - Semester Final



Favorite Photo
My favorite picture from the slideshow is picture number 7. This is my favorite because the position of the balloons show a depth of field, the subject itself is hidden in the dark which is interesting, and there is a beautiful contrast between bright and dark.
Best Photo 
The best photo from the slide show is picture number 3. It is the best because the photo takes advantage of the light provided and the time of day. It has an odd number of subjects, which is one of my three rules of composition, and makes the photo more visually appealing. Lastly the image captures the moment and its viewers can understand what is happening without reading the caption.
Best Work 
My best work this semester would have to be the Masters of Photography project which can be found here. It is my best work because I spent a lot more time and effort to complete it than any other work so far. I was able to learn my photographers rules of composition and  apply it to the photos I took. I learned a great deal about photography and also got better at photo taking through this project which makes it my best work this semester. If I had more time to complete the project I would've took more photos and also included a few pictures taken at night.
Rules of Composition 
My three rules of composition are the following: 
  • Rule of odds 
  • Take close up photos 
  • Avoid the middle 
Illustration 
This photo I took clearly illustrate two of my rules of composition, rule of odds and avoiding the middle. In the photo there is only one subject and it is not centered in the middle but off the the side.







Farley's First Rule of Composition 
Your first rule of composition is getting closer. 

Working in Groups 
Five benefits of working in groups: 
  • Plan and manage time efficiently
  • Break complex tasks into parts 
  • Share knowledge and skills 
  • Receive different feedback 
  • Take on more difficult tasks that one would not be able to do alone. 
Five difficulties of working in groups:
  • Some members don't participate or contribute as much as others
  • Ideas are not clearly discussed as a team 
  • Ineffective communication between team members 
  • Some members dominate the group  
  • Conflict between one member and another 
Favorite Work by Classmate 
My favorite work by someone in this class would be Kevin Mathis's fourth picture in his Masters of Photography Project which can be found here.

A Little History 
  1. My master photographer was Henri Cartier-Bresson. He was one of the major artists of the 20th century who pioneered street photojournalism. He captured many American events and because of his contributions he is considered the father of photojournalism. He is also known for The Decisive Moment which is a concept that refers to capturing an events that is ephemeral and spontaneous where the image represent the event itself. 
  2. Dorothea Langes most famous photograph is the "Migrant Mother". She was employed by the Farm Security Administration and it was taken at a camp for seasonal agriculture workers in Nipomo, California on In March 1939. 
  3. Life Magazines began publishing on November 23, 1936
  4. Elvis was born on January 8, 1935.
  5. Capa co-founded Magnum Photos in 1947 in Paris





































1 comment: